Breakfast was never a frequent meal when I was younger; it was entirely optional. As I became older, I began to savor those early moments of settling down for coffee and sustenance before the onset of a busy day.
These green onion & cilantro multi-grain french toasts are irresistible for when I want a more savory start to my day. I prefer to use a seeded multigrain bread for this recipe because I enjoy the extra texture. Please use your favorite loaf or whatever excess bread you have at home - it need not be fancy.
Green Onion & Cilantro Multi-Grain French Toast
Serves 2; 15 min cook time
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, ground
- ¼ tsp cumin, ground
- ¼ tsp paprika or red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons scallions or green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 slices of multi-seed or grain bread
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter or cooking oil spray
- Shallow baking dish
- Frying pan or cast iron skillet
- In a shallow baking dish, add the eggs, whole milk, kosher salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika or chili flakes (if using), scallions, and cilantro. Beat together until well combined.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter or cooking oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron skillet.
- Dip the pieces of bread in the egg mixture for about 15-30 seconds per side. Drain off excess, and place into the skillet. Fry the slices for 2-3 minutes on each side until deep golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat with remaining slices. Serve warm with scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, guacamole, or even Bangladeshi sautéed potatoes (aloo bhaji).
If you try the recipe, tag me on Instagram so I can see! #afsanaliza @afsana_liza