Warm and nutty brown butter, crunchy toffee and caramelized almond bits, puddles of melted dark chocolate flecked with just the slightest touch of flaky sea salt; these cookies have it all.
They're crispy and crinkly on the edges, and gooey-soft in the center. They're rich but not overwhelmingly so, and most importantly, they have that edge of saltiness that I find quite addictive (and frankly necessary) in indulgent sweets.
This is a cookie that’s meant to be shared and devoured. So do yourself (and everyone else you know) a favor, and make a batch of these brown butter delicacies.
Brown Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate, Toffee Bits, Caramelized Almonds, & Flaky Sea Salt
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Makes 24 cookies
- 1 cup (226g or 2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (213g) dark brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (66g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Ghirardelli “Toffee Interlude Dark Chocolate with Toffee Bits & Caramelized Almonds” Intense Dark Chocolate Bar, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 1¼ cups dark chocolate chunks (preferably 60 to 72% cacao; bittersweet or semi-sweet)
- Flaky sea salt (preferably Maldon)
- Small saucepan
- Two mixing bowls (one large, one medium-sized)
- Electric hand mixer
- Rubber spatula
- 1.5” cookie scoop (optional)
- Parchment-lined baking or cookie sheet
- Make the brown butter (also called beurre noisette): melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. As the butter melts, it will begin to foam, and then change color from yellow to golden tan, and finally to a nutty brown (5-8 minutes). Frequently stir the butter throughout this process. Once you smell the nutty aroma, take the saucepan off the heat, and transfer the brown butter to a large mixing bowl. Let it cool slightly.
- While the brown butter cools, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and kosher salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar to the cooled brown butter. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the sugars and butter until fully incorporated, on medium speed (1 minute).
- Add the eggs to the mixture, and beat until it lightens and thickens (30 seconds).
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and kosher salt) to the wet mixture, and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chunks and the chopped toffee and almond chocolate bar pieces.
- Transfer the dough to the refrigerator, and let it rest for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Position the oven rack to the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Using a 1.5” cookie scoop (or your hands), form 12 balls of dough and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Space the cookies about 3" apart as the cookies will flatten out and spread as they bake.
- Sprinkle the tops of each ball with flaky sea salt.
- Transfer the cookie sheet to the oven, and bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges of the cookies are firm and golden brown. The centers should still be soft. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough to make 12 more cookies. Eat one while it's still slightly warm.
Brown Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate, Toffee Bits, Caramelized Almonds, & Flaky Sea Salt can be stored in an airtight container for several days.
If you try the recipe, tag me on Instagram so I can see! #afsanaliza @afsana_liza